Systems Engineering Intern
CommScope is currently recruiting for a Systems Engineering Intern to join our team in Mississauga, Ontario.
Learn More About Internship Programs at CommScope
As CommScope designs and builds connectivity for the world's most advanced networks, we're building something equally as important: careers for bright college students like you. Our Summer Internship Program is designed to provide you an invaluable work experience through completing challenging projects to help you grow and develop.
Throughout the 12-week program, you will collaborate with some of the best in the industry, receive on the job training and participate in professional development workshops, executive speaker series, and other networking and social events!
What to Expect:
As a Systems Engineering Intern, you will be responsible for working with other architects in the CTO office building prototype software and running experiments in data networking systems to measure key performance metrics such as throughput, latency, jitter and packet losses. You will work closely with architects and engineers on profiling and improving behavior of broadband networks, working on key technologies that will impact on how we get access to Internet and mobile services at our homes and workplaces.
You Will Make an Impact By:
- Developing code and scripts for network experiments using languages like C/C++, Python and Go
- Working hands-on with cable access equipment configuring and managing them via CLI, SNMP and other primitives
- Leveraging your statistical and analytics background to study results of experiments and provide insights on data collected using various data analysis techniques.
- Being a continuous and proactive learner of networking technology and software systems
Required Qualifications for Consideration
- Junior or Senior standing in a bachelor’s or a master’s student in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related degree from an accredited university
- Proven strong academic performer with a minimum GPA of 3.2
- Ability to work in Canada without sponsorship now or in the future
Working Remotely During the Internship
Due to the current situation of the pandemic, we anticipate the possibility of internship being a remote work/work-from-home situation. We do expect the following requirements to be met by the candidate to qualify for the internship:
- Must have access to a stable high speed broadband Internet connection during the course of the internship. Office equipment such as laptops may be provided to you during the term of the internship which is company property and must be returned at the end of the work term.
- Ability to meet your manager or mentor 2-3 times in person at the CommScope Mississauga location during the course of the Internship - to assist in the transition process as well as provide required materials like laptops. All COVID-19 safety protocols will be in effect during such interactions.
- The ideal candidate is a student in an university in Greater Toronto area or Kitchener-Waterloo area meeting the required qualifications, but other candidates within Ontario may be considered as long as you can meet the above requirements.
You Will Excite Us If You
- Have programming skills in C/C++, Python and/or Go
- Have background knowledge or working experience with data networking and TCP/IP stacks
- Any hands-on working experience with routers and switches
- Knowledge of cable access systems and/or cellular systems
- Demonstrate strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Show innovation through unique ideas and propose them to the team
In today’s always on world, CommScope is pushing the bounds of communications technology. We are building better connections and shaping networks of the future. For more than 40 years, we’ve been leaders in innovating the network infrastructure of the future. Developments such as the Internet of Things, seamless connectivity and 5G introduce new requirements and demand creative thinking. With our unmatched expertise in copper, fiber and wireless infrastructure, our global clients rely on us to outperform today and be ready for the needs of tomorrow.
It is the policy of CommScope to provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all individuals based on merit, qualifications and abilities. CommScope does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, age or any other characteristics as protected by law. Furthermore, this contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals on the basis of disability and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.